Sunday, January 15, 2012

TV Calendar: My Picks For January 2012


Well, it's Sunday evening and I was just about to hop in the shower to get ready to watch the Golden Globes when I realized that January is usually the month when the winter schedule for TV shows start! Starting with the Golden Globe Awards, here is a list of shows I'm looking forward to seeing! I included the date, time, and channel as well as a brief synopsis for each. Enjoy!


GOLDEN GLOBE AWARDS
Sunday, Jan. 15th 8pm (NBC)

Multi-talented Golden Globe and Emmy Award winner Ricky Gervais ("The Office," "The Ricky Gervais Show") returns for the third time as host of NBC's "The 69th Annual Golden Globe Awards" on Sunday, January 15, 2012. This year's show will again be broadcast live coast to coast from 5:00 - 8:00 p.m. (PT) and 8:00 - 11:00 p.m. (ET) from The Beverly Hilton Hotel in Beverly Hills. "The 69th Annual Golden Globe Awards" will be seen in more than 160 countries worldwide and is one of the few awards ceremonies that spans both television and motion picture achievements.

My Thoughts: I'm really looking forward to seeing who wins in some of these categories, especially best actor. I am a huge Michael Fassbender fan, and I also wish Brad Pitt luck since he is always the underdog. I'm hoping George Clooney doesn't walk away with the win but he is the crowd favorite. :(


_________________________


ALCATRAZ
(from the creator of LOST)
Monday, Jan. 16th, 8pm (FOX)

Years after every prisoner on Alcatraz mysteriously vanished, Detective Emerson Hauser and Rebecca Madsen are drawn into the case of Jack Sylvane, who is on a killing spree. They later find out that Sylvane was in fact one of the inmates on the prison, and joined by Alcatraz expert "Doc" Soto, Hauser and Madsen race to stop Sylvane and solve the mystery of Alcatraz.

My Thoughts: Not much to say, really. I never watched the insanely popular LOST (I know! Don't throw tomatoes at me!) I like JJ Abrams, so I guess we shall see what Alcatraz brings!


_________________________


BEING HUMAN
:
Season 2 (US version)
Monday, Jan. 16th, 9pm (SyFy)

MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS IF YOU HAVE NOT WATCHED SEASON 1 YET! A vampire, a werewolf, and a ghost, oh my! Season 2 picks up in the aftermath of the first season, with Aidan trying to deal with the mess left behind by his now (fully) deceased mentor Bishop. This means looking out for the vampires Bishop had assembled for a secret army, and trying to protect them from the higher-up vampires. Josh and Nora are dealing with his wolfish condition in the wake of Nora’s miscarriage. And last season, Sally missed her door, which was to take her to the afterlife. This might mean she’s stuck in ghost-form and unable to move on indefinitely.

My Thoughts: I haven't finished watching season 1 of the US version but I am a huge fan of the UK/BBC version. Season 1 can be purchased HERE. Check out the BBC version which started it all HERE!


_________________________


LOST GIRL (originally aired in Canada)
Monday, Jan. 16th, 10pm (SyFy)

Lost Girl follows supernatural seductress Bo, a Succubus who feeds on the sexual energy (sometimes called "chi") of humans. Growing up with human parents, Bo had no reason to believe she was anything other than the girl next door - until she drained her boyfriend to death in their first sexual encounter. Now, she has hit the road alone and afraid. She discovers she is one of the Fae, creatures of legend and folklore, who pass as humans while feeding off them secretly and in different ways, as they have for millennia. Relieved to find out that she is not alone, yet horrified, Bo decides to take the middle path between the humans and the Fae while embarking on a personal mission to unlock the secrets of her origin.

With the help of her human sidekick, Kenzi, and Dyson, a sexy Fae working as a human police detective, Bo takes on a challenge every week helping a Fae or human client who comes to her to solve a mystery, or to right a wrong.

My Thoughts: This show KICKS ASS! I watched a few episodes of it when it aired in Canada and I guess I wasn't the only one in the US that noticed how awesome this series is! Lost Girl also is kind of a ground breaker-- it's one of the first shows that features a bi-sexual female character. Yup, that's right! Bo is torn between her love for the sexy wolf shifter Dyson and the female doctor of the fae, Lauren.

WEBSITE


_________________________

JUSTIFIED: Season 3
Tuesday, Jan. 17th, 10pm FX

MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS IF YOU HAVE NOT WATCHED SEASONS 1 and 2!

This season, Boyd and his crew will find they aren’t the only ones making a play to rule the Harlan underworld. Now Raylan finds himself facing off against dirty politicians, hidden fortunes, a mysterious man named “Limehouse” and an enterprising and lethal criminal from the Motor City.

My Thoughts: Justified is one of my favorite shows. I absolutely have the hots for Timothy Olyphant who plays deputy Marshall Raylan Givens. You can buy seasons 1 HERE and 2 HERE. Also, check out the website for more info!





_________________________

SPARTACUS: Season 2
Friday, Jan. 27th, 10pm (STARZ)

MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS IF YOU HAVE NOT WATCHED SEASON 1 or the prequel! After the bloody escape from the House of Batiatus that concluded Spartacus: Blood and Sand, the gladiator rebellion begins to strike fear into the heart of the Roman Republic in Spartacus: Vengeance. Legatus Claudius Glaber and his Roman troops are sent to Capua to crush Spartacus' growing band of freed slaves before they can inflict further damage. Spartacus is given a choice between satisfying his personal need for vengeance against the man who condemned his wife to slavery and eventual death, or making the larger sacrifices necessary to keep his budding army from breaking apart. Advance word suggests that this sequel will continue the blood-soaked action, exotic sexuality, villainy, and heroism that characterized Spartacus: Blood and Sand.


My Thoughts: I'm nervous about season 2, I won't even lie! Since STARZ had to replace the main lead after the tragic death of Andy Whitfield (see my blog post about it HERE), I worry that the new Spartacus, played by Liam McIntyre, may not be able to bring the spark that Andy did. I've watched several of the season 2 trailers and...I don't know. I'm going to try to be open-minded and give this guy a chance!

~~~~~~

Other Thoughts: Walking Dead Returns February 12th! Can't Wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment