Friday, January 6, 2012

TV Series News: The Tribe Finally Gets a US DVD Release Date!

"If we're gonna survive, the dream must stay alive." -- lyric from The Tribe theme song

That's right, Tribe fans in North America! The dream we've all been waiting for is finally coming true. Well, sort of. I've just learned that The Tribe, Season One will be released in the US on March 13th! Check out the dvd cover art to the left! (I love it, although is it just me or does Bray's face look a little...funny?)

But here's the catch: it's only Season 1, VOLUME 1, the first 26 episodes on 4 discs! *bangs head on desk* I know, I know, beggars can't be choosers, so I guess we just have to be happy with what we can get! Plus, from the sources I've been checking out, there is a good chance that all 5 seasons of the cult, post-apocalyptic young adult series will be eventually put on dvd in the US! The studio behind the dvd boxset production is Shout! Factory, which is also responsible for releasing such cult favorites as My So-Called Life: Complete Series and Jem and the Holograms: The Truly Outrageous Complete Series.

So...umm, what is The Tribe?


If you've been living under a rock and have never heard of the hit show from New Zealand, here is a quick little synopsis. A virus hits earth. Mysteriously killing all adults over the age of 18, children and teens are left to fend for themselves in a world left in shambles. With hardly any technology, electricity, and food sources, children start forming "tribes" in order to survive. Some tribes are good, like the "Mallrats" while others grow strength by feeding on the weak, such as the "Locos" and "Demon Dogs".

The Tribe
ran for 5 glorious seasons, each season running for a massive 52 episodes. The controversial series surprisingly aired on the Disney channel several years ago, which is how the show grew such a large fan base in North America. It touched on many subjects, such as teen pregnancy, eating disorders, physical handicaps, etc. I think it was one of my greatest childhood memories...well, okay, I guess I was more of a *clears throat* teenager just out of high school that used to watch the show, but don't judge! My best friend Adria at Neverend can verify The Tribe's very addictive storylines! It was like our guilty pleasure....a soap opera for kids. With lots of hot, dreamy guys. Like Bray (although that picture above doesn't do him justice!) and Lex and Pride... *drools* I used to love tuning in every day to see if their outfits had changed....ya know, when you are in a tribe, you get to wear face paint and...well, watch it for yourself! You'll see!

March 13th seems like such a long time to wait for season 1, volume 1...and then we have to wait some more for volume 2...But it can be done! We will persevere! I promise to give everyone an update/review of the dvd boxset once it is in my hands. I have no idea if there will be any kind of special features included. I know the region 2 boxsets were filled with interviews and behind-the scenes-footage. I got a feeling that won't be the case for the US edition. You can pre-order your copy at Shout! Factory or Amazon.com! For those of you who want more info on the show like episode guides, photos, trailer videos, go to The Tribe's official site at Tribeworld!

Keeping the Dream Alive,

~~Mia~~

No comments:

Post a Comment